Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Be of Good Courage

Devotion 2 of 3. For part one, Wait on the Lord, click here.

Wait on the LORD;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the LORD!
Psalm 27:14

It’s easy to be courageous when you know that you are in a position of strength.

When I was 11, a man approached me with the intent of doing violent harm. I reacted by yelling at him and running away, which involved pushing right past him. I remember the interviewer telling me how brave I had been. I didn’t feel brave. The offender thought he had me at a disadvantage…but I knew something that he didn’t…I was less than a block from my house, and both my mom and my 6-foot-4-police-chief dad were at home. My security was nearby. All I needed to do was get to them. They were the source of whatever courage I had in that situation.

The Lord tells us clearly to be courageous and brave. In Joshua 1:9, He says, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage! Do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

We should remember this. In any situation, the Lord is with you! We have an advantage over our enemy. He may be unseen, He may be quietly waiting, but He is there. Even closer than my mom and dad were…He is there for you!
So be of good courage, because your security lies in His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment