Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Wait on the Lord...

We have a women's retreat coming up early next month. The following is from a series of 3 devotions that I was asked to write.

Wait on the LORD;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the LORD!
Psalm 27:14

Our society hates waiting. We are convinced, both by our flesh and the media, that instant gratification is a good thing, and that if we are forced to endure any delay, it will drive us crazy.

I recently ordered an item online--delivery was estimated at 21 days, well in advance of when I needed it. But immediately, my first thought was, "Why should I have to wait?"

Likewise, we often looked at the promises of God in the same way. We want them fully now. And we want them our way. What we fail to see is that God has His own timing, and His own will. He's not our personal genie-in-the-bottle.

Waiting on the Lord comes down to one simple question that we must each ask of our hearts: "Do I really believe that my Lord and my Savior wants my best?" Of course, we believe that in our hearts, but often our heads and our thoughts get in the way.

So wait on the Lord, and wait for His best:
when the waves crash and the winds blow
when all you want is some peace
when you can't see a way to safety
Because:
even the winds and the waves obey Him
He has said He will give you rest
He is your shield and deliverer
Wait on the Lord, and be of good courage...

2 comments:

  1. Another question maybe: Do we want God's best?

    I look at how our culture is consumed with "me" and I believe whole heartedly that it can now be seen in the Church. Hence the instant gratification... So perhaps it is the same question, but the focus within the question is very different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right...the Lord's best is often unexpected! We so often represent His "best" by our desires...

    ReplyDelete