Monday, October 25, 2010

Pivotal Moments in Weight Loss

I began my weight loss journey two-and-a-half years ago knowing it would be a long and, at times, frustrating process. When I began, I just wanted to look better. (Well, I really want to look like Catherine Zeta-Jones, but I am a realist.) That has evolved into some very specific fitness goals. So far I am down about 65 pounds, with 30 to go. There have been funny and exciting moments along the way, some of which surprised me. When the weight goes on over the course of years, you don't really notice it. Oh, I knew I was heavy, but I didn't really realize what limitations physically (and emotionally) I had put upon myself because of it.

  • The first thing I noticed when I really began taking it off and changing my shape was (of all things) reaching down to pull the gas tank release in the car. Really. It hadn't dawned on me that my tummy was getting in the way of even little things like that. That was about a year or so ago, and even now, every time I reach for that release, I smile. (Then I think of gas prices and my smile fades, but at least I have it for a bit!)
  • Another thing I have recently found is that people have stopped saying, "You have such a pretty face." I'm not sure what other people think when that is said to them, but what I actually heard is, "You wouldn't be so bad if your head was attached to someone else's body." Ouch.
  • Last week I went to Old Navy and bought jeans that are the size I thought was my GOAL. Not even close. In 30 more pounds I will be in the size I was in high school. My shape will definitely be different, but hey...that's called adulthood. And I'm just fine with that.
  • But the best thing that has happened recently? Joe snapped a picture of me and it is the first picture in a long time that I have no criticism of. 

I'll update again after the next 30.

1 comment:

  1. I like the last bullet point the best! :)

    ReplyDelete