Thursday, December 27, 2007

2007 Book Recap

This was a rather slow year for reading in my life. I am just now settling into a rhythm in the evenings that is more beneficial to spending time with the written word. Here is a mostly inclusive list from the past 12 months. I left out books that were total fluff, or that I didn't finish, or that were so bad that I couldn't recommend them at all. Although there are a couple on that list that I may end up reviewing just to have an excuse to rant. As if I need an excuse!

  • The Road to Reality (by KP Yohannan): My 3rd or 4th time through. I read this book when I need to be reminded of what my priorities should be.
  • The Last Days (by Joel Rosenberg): 2nd in a series...not as good as the first, but I'll probably keep going.
  • Hour of Gold, Hour of Lead (by Anne Morrow Lindbergh): read my most recent review here.
  • Miss Julia Strikes Back (by Ann B Ross): Light, but not fluffy, this is the 7th or 8th in the Miss Julia series. I like her character's practical outlook on life, and that fact that she is a woman "of a certain age", something lacking in much of today's fiction.
  • The Moonstone (by Wilkie Collins): My 2nd attempt...and I made it. Once I got into the story, I enjoyed it greatly.
  • The Remarkable Record of Job (by Henry Morris): A wonderful commentary on the book of Job, looking more at the marvels of creation and the power of God than on the suffering of Job.
  • Faith Undone (by Roger Oakland): Interesting book on the emerging church. Roger is not the best writer in the world, but he is very well researched and his content is important.
  • The Decoration of Houses (by Alexandra Stoddard): A textbook for decoration. I enjoyed it and was inspired by this book.
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer (by Andrew Murray): Read this for a discipleship/leadership class. I plan to go through it again this year with no agenda in mind. It's meant to be a 30 day book, and we had 2 weeks!
  • Friends, Lovers, and Chocolate (by Alexandar McCall Smith): #2 in a series. Loved it. I don't subscribe to the main character's worldview, but for fiction, I enjoyed the literary twists.
  • Mornings on Horseback (by David McCullough): Bio of Theodore Roosevelt. After visiting Medora, ND, I really enjoyed learning more about this man. Highly recommend this book.
  • The Last Jihad (by Joel Rosenberg): First in a series. Riveting.
  • The Bad Quarto (by Jill Paton Walsh): A mystery. Well written, and thought provoking.
    Living a Beautiful Life (by Alexandra Stoddard): read a few thoughts here.
  • Why Revival Tarries (by Leonard Ravenhill): Ouch. Excellent book. Very convicting. Ouch.
  • George Muller (by Basil Miller): Another read for our class. I dislike poorly written bios, but I love George Muller's faith.
  • The Soulwinner (by Charles Spurgeon): The first half of the book is excellent and conversational. The second half gets rather bogged down in the tedious. Overall, a worthwhile read.
  • The Sunday Philosophy Club (by Alexander McCall Smith): read my review here.

2 comments:

  1. I've got two books you need to add to your list for 2008.

    "The Present Future" by Reggie McNeal

    and

    "The Organic Church" by Neal Cole

    Both are GREAT reads that really challenged my evangelistic heart and the way that church is "done"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we didn't get together on _Anna Karenina_ as planned, but we did manage to read a few of the same books! Including Mornings on Horseback (loved it), The Remarkable Record of Job, and Faith Undone. And of course I've heard all about Why Revival Tarries second hand! My husband likes to talk about that one~~it makes for stimulating conversation. I always enjoy your book lists; hope you'll keep posting as you read in the New year.

    ReplyDelete