Monday, January 9, 2012

Book List 2011

My reading has slipped a little this year. I have, I confess shamefacedly, been watching too much television.  But here's an abbreviated list of some that I either read, or listened to during my commute.

Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery: an old favorite. It's like comfort food. Non-fat comfort food.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: Somehow this makes my list every year. I don't always read the whole thing, but it's one that I can pick up at anytime. This year, however, I listened to it. And laughed aloud in the car. Here are a few comments on P and P.

Right Ho, Jeeves by PG Wodehouse: I love Wodehouse's dry wit. Bertie Wooster makes me giggle. For the longest time, I had a terrible time watching House, because Hugh Laurie will always be Bertie in my mind. He's an accidental genius.

Little Women, Little Men and Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott:  The first two I had read years ago, but it was fun to reread them, and to finish the story and see my favorite heroine Jo, not only as a young woman, but as an older, married, and surprisingly mature woman.

North to the Orient by Anne Morrow Lindbergh: Anne has a way of writing that makes me think I could have been an adventuress with her. I am kidding myself. This is her journal of her trip with husband Charles through the arctic circle to China in an all-too-small (in my opinion) plane.

Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy: Yes, a football book.. Sort of. It's really more of a pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps and live-your-faith-in-action book. Great read for men.

Murder at the Library of Congress by Margaret Truman: The late M. Truman was the only daughter of President Harry Truman. She wrote this great series of mysteries set in DC in a way that is realistic about politics without being terribly cynical.

Creating a Beautiful Home by Alexandra Stoddard: Another one that is ALWAYS on my bookshelf. Stoddard's philosophy of home-keeping (not housework!) are inspiring to me and strike a chord.

Made in America by Bill Bryson: subtitled, An Informal History of the English Language in the United States. Bryson is funny. I mean, I read a whole book not just IN English, but ABOUT English. And mostly about how we Americans have butchered it for years.

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle: Brought back fond memories of reading this to Michael when he was about seven.

For Women Only by Shaunti Feldhaun: An interesting compilation of survey info about what men really think. Pretty eye opening.

King Solomon's Mines by H Rider Haggard: Read my review here.

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts: A sweet easy read about a girl whose life begins as a train wreck, but who finds a family in Wal-mart. Okay, that's an over-simplification, but it was a nice bedtime read.

Happiness for Two by Alexandra Stoddard: Pointers on making your honey happy. For a lifetime. Written in short chapters so I kept it in my purse for when I was waiting for something. Usually my honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment