Sunday, November 9, 2008

Book Review: Austenland by Shannon Hale


Who could resist a book called Austenland? Certainly not me!

Jane Hayes is a 30-something single woman with a major problem. None of the men she dates can measure up to Pride and Prejudice's Mr. Darcy. Oh, and this is the dark, handsome, brooding, but deep inside shy in public situations Mr. Darcy as portrayed by Colin Firth in the A and E version. Sigh.

Jane's elderly aunt leaves a bequest in her will, not cash, but a 3-week stay in Austenland, a vaction estate where the guests must dress and behave as though they are in Regency England. Sound fun, until you remember that the noble gentlemen, the gardeners and the rest of the staff are actors, and in real life are not what they seem. Does Jane find her Mr. Darcy? Does that man even exist?

This was a fun and quick read with quite a few laugh-out-loud moments. I knew I was hooked from the introduction, which reads:

For Colin Firth

You're a really great guy, but I'm married,

So I think we should just be friends.

PS Thanks, mom, for leaving me your P and P video. I will try to stop watching it at least once a week. Or not.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'll have to pass this one on to dd #1. She loves anything Austin and especially P & P.

    ReplyDelete