Wednesday, October 9, 2013

An Art Mystery

...mostly solved. At least to my satisfaction.

Our family has owned a lovely watercolor painting since the 1950s. It has been hanging somewhere in my home since adulthood and I have always loved it.



Here is the mystery. We have always referred to it as a Nome (Alaska) street scene, but have had only vague memories and recollections for verifications, as everyone from the generation that purchased it has passed away.

Multiple internet searches and even a call to the Nome Chamber of Commerce a couple of years ago yielded no information on the artist, clearly signed "Z Green".

It was a dead end, until yesterday.

One more random internet wander...and I found this postcard.

 
Now it may be a coincidence that the two little ones are wearing the same color jackets, but there is no denying the placement of the boardwalk and the telephone poles.
 
I suppose my next adventure will be to attempt to locate an actual copy of this postcard to attach to the back of the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment