Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Book Review: Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

When I began this book, I knew it would be one that I would blog about. I thought that I would be writing about the pros and cons of the death penalty. The book evolved into something quite different.

Change of Heart follows the story of a convicted murderer, a priest, an ACLU lawyer, and a little girl who needs a heart transplant. Throw in a lot of religious ferver and confusion, and you have a very interesting story.

Shay Bourne killed a little girl and her step-father. Those facts are never in doubt. A college student who sat on the jury that sentenced Shay to death is now a young priest, secure in his faith and what he knows, until he meets Shay, and his faith is challenged. For it seems that Shay can do miracles, quotes from the lost gospel of Thomas, and wants to die in a way that he can donate his heart to the younger sister of the murdered girl.

Is Shay Bourne the Messiah? Could Jesus come again in another form before his triumpant second coming?

As a Christian, I believe the Bible clearly answers the above questions, but it is interesting to read Jodi Picoult's research into some alternative viewpoints. I enjoyed the book, and the twists and turns that the story and the lives of the characters take. I suppose we could debate the death penalty, too...

*Just a note: much of the story takes place in a prison, so there is some foul language.

No comments:

Post a Comment