Friday, November 30, 2007

Amazing Grace, Politics and other Ramblings

On Thanksgiving Day, I watched the movie, Amazing Grace, about William Wilberforce and his fight in the British Parliament to abolish the slave trade. Excellent movie, and I would highly recommend it, but one phrase kept coming back to mind as it relates to current events in Minot:
Mr. Wilberforce, we understand you're having problems choosing whether to do the work of God, or the work of a political activist.
We humbly suggest that you can do both.

Recently, on Main Street here in Minot, a strip club opened with the name of Sin: take a break from being good. Ironically, it was the name change that brought a huge community uproar...most people had no idea it had gone from being just a bar, to a "gentleman's club". So I am getting involved in the fight to move the clubs (there is another as well) to the industrial area of town, out of the sight of the families that patronize the downtown area. (Just a note: yes, I'd love to see them abolished altogether, but I believe that is the work of prayer and revival, rather than legislation).

Obviously, this is a big subject for me...for the obvious moral reasons...not to mention that I live on Main Street.

So here goes my first foray into political activism.

No comments:

Post a Comment