Robert E. Lee, one of my favorite people in history, died on this day in 1870, at the age of 63. The son of a governor, he was a complex man who loved his country deeply. Here are some quotes which illustrate my regard for the man:
- On his faith: My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian.
- On learning: The education of a man is never completed until he dies.
- On Bill Clinton (okay, I made that part up): I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.
- On temptation: Whiskey - I like it, I always did, and that is the reason I never use it.
- On the loss of the Civil War: We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing.