Friday, October 12, 2007

On this Day: the Death of Robert E Lee


Robert E. Lee, one of my favorite people in history, died on this day in 1870, at the age of 63. The son of a governor, he was a complex man who loved his country deeply. Here are some quotes which illustrate my regard for the man:


  • On his faith: My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian.

  • On learning: The education of a man is never completed until he dies.

  • On Bill Clinton (okay, I made that part up): I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.

  • On temptation: Whiskey - I like it, I always did, and that is the reason I never use it.

  • On the loss of the Civil War: We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment