Thursday, August 8, 2013

Chihuly: a Photo Retrospective (doesn't that sound posh?)

My first encounter with the glass work of Dale Chihuly was at the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha. There I was able to see close-up the amazing artistry of what was then a newly installed piece.

Here are my photos from that day.


Small piece in the gift shop. Alas, I do not have $8000 to spend.

A couple of weeks ago, I spent a wonderful time in Seattle with some of my very lady-like friends. On a gorgeous Saturday, we hit the Seattle Center and the Chihuly Garden and Glass Exhibit. Not cheap at $19, but worth every penny.

This "bowl" is about 2 feet tall. Note the layers of glass and the 3-D effect.

I had seen the chandelier style of his art, but was struck by the different glass work that Chihuly has done.


Loved the crab. He's about 6 inches tall. Quite a departure from the bright colors I am used to from Chihuly.

My favorite exhibit. The colors and the artistry literally made me speechless.

It was fun to people watch at the exhibit. They were all doing the same thing I was. As I entered one room, I was struck by the immensity, the beauty, the intricacy, and the artistic vision that creates such wonders. At one point, I looked at a friend and told her I wanted to sing "Pure Imagination" from the Willy Wonka. 

  
One of the many colored "chandeliers" hanging from the ceilings.

Then, I would turn my head, get a glimpse into the next room, and gasp. Every room did this to me. 


A closer look.

Large, probably 2 1/2 feet across, bowl. Stunning colors.

A glimpse at the Needle through the floral chandelier.

Rock candy.

I'm not sure that I want to know what these little black suckers are escaping from under this log into the purple forest.

Hold your breath
Make a wish
Count to three

Come with me
And you'll be
In a world of
Pure imagination
Take a look
And you'll see
Into your imagination

We'll begin
With a spin
Traveling in
The world of my creation
What we'll see
Will defy
Explanation

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure imagination
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly wish to be

If you want to view paradise
Simply look around and view it
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world?
There's nothing
To it

There is no
Life I know
To compare with
Pure imagination
Living there
You'll be free
If you truly
Wish to be


More gift shop goodies.

If anyone is looking for birthday gift ideas, I think this one only ran $6500.


No comments:

Post a Comment