Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Book Review: The Appeal by John Grisham

This is my last John Grisham book. I don't say that lightly, as I have enjoyed reading Grisham's novels in the past, especially the early works. However, his smirky and sarcastic attitude toward fundamentalist, conservative Christians in this book is intolerable.

Please don't mistake my meaning. I don't read only books of people with whom I agree. I enjoy books, fiction and non-fiction, that make me think, that stretch my mind, and that challenge me to defend my faith. I am, however, offended by a man who claims to be a christian, yet seems to have no idea of who or what the Christians that I know are or what we believe.

Grisham has just gone too far in this book. He gives us "christian" characters with one of two sets of values. The christian character is either a) an idiot waiting to be manipulated or, b) the power-hungry megalomaniac.

Perhaps you shall make your own judgement. John Grisham said the following in TIME this past February: I’m a Christian, and those beliefs occasionally come out in the books. One thing you really have to watch as a writer is getting on a soapbox or pulpit about anything. You don’t want to alienate readers.

I'm not sure which soapbox he thinks he's on.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, but one has to admit, that that is how so many Christians tend to be. And actually that is something that many argue about. Passive approach or aggressive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. www.jebandlisalynn.blogspot.com

    :)

    ReplyDelete