Monday, December 18, 2006

My Book of Quotes


I confess that I stole this idea from Father Tim, the main character in Jan Karon's Mitford books. My quote book grows in spurts and starts, often going unnoticed for a month, and then receiving an abundance of attention for weeks at a time. Often I will reread what I have previously copied down, and usually I will be rewarded with a smile and a pleasant memory of time spent in travels through a book. I love the specialness of this little leather-covered book.

There are a few poems included, sometimes song lyrics, and occasionally a quote from a friend or pastor.

Here are a couple of my favorites....

He who hath not a dram of folly in his mixture hath pounds of much worse matter in his composition. ~Charles Lamb

Well...I certainly have at least a dram...perhaps a bit more.

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
~Emily Dickinson


No comments:

Post a Comment